If you see a ring-shaped rash on the skin that means you have ringworm. In this article, we will discuss how to treat ringworms. Ringworm is a very common fungal infection of the skin, which is not caused by a worm. Tinea is the medical term which is used for ringworm. The fungus spreads on the top layer of the skin and hair as a result of causing ringworm. The fungal infection grows in warm and moist areas such as swimming pools, skin folds and locker rooms. Ringworm of the skin causes a very itchy rash that makes a shape of a ring. It can occur on any part of the body, such as arm, scalp, foot or any other areas. It is quite difficult to deal with itchiness and pain of the ringworm. Ringworm is very closely related with jock itch and athleteâ€™s foot.
Ringworm is contagious as it can spread by skin to skin contact with a person or animal that has ringworm. It can also spread by sharing personal things like clothing, sports gear and towels. You many also infected by touching an infected animal like a dog or cat. The condition of ringworm is accompanied by itching, redness and inflammation. Treating ringworm is not s difficult task. Ringworm can be successfully treated with some home remedies, natural remedies and antifungal medications. Maintaining good hygiene is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of ringworm.
Symptoms of Ringworm:
- Ring shaped structure which is red and scaly patch.
- Itching and pain
- Small blisters on the skin
- Severe itching
- Inflamed skin
Causes of Ringworm:
- It occurs due to fungal infection.
- Direct contact with affected animal such as dog or cat.
- Living in a warm and moist areas.
- It occurs due to having a weak immune system and other medications.
- Athletes affected due to contact with sports such as wrestling.
- Wearing tight clothes
- Using locker rooms or public showers.
- Sharing towels, bedding or clothing with the affected person.
Best Remedies to Treat Ringworms:
When the ringworm is not treated on time, then it can lead to numerous complications. So here are some remedies that will help you to treat ringworms.
1.) Garlic to Get Rid of Ringworms Fast and Naturally
Garlic is one of the effective and the best home remedies for curing ringworm. Garlic is a natural anti-fungal agent that helps to cure many fungal infections including ringworm.
Steps to Use Garlic to Prevent Ringworms:
- Take 2 garlic cloves and crush them.
- Rub the crushed garlic cloves on the ringworm rash many times a day.
- Do this method for 4 to 5 days or until the ringworm is gone.
- You can also place the slices of clove on the affected area and wrap a bandage. Leave the cloves overnight for quick results.
2.) Coconut Oil to Treat Ringworm Naturally and Fast
The healing properties in ringworm help to treat ringworms infections. Coconut oil is also used in treating ringworms on scalp. It provides a great relief from itchy skin and makes your skin soft and smooth.
Steps to Use Coconut Oil to Cure Ringworms:
- Take a few drops of coconut oil and apply it on the ringworm with the help of cotton ball.
- Do this method 2 or 3 times a day for a week.
- You can also dilute the coconut oil in an equal amount of water and then apply it on the affected skin.
- You can also use lavender oil and tea tree oil to get relief from ringworm.
3.) Neem or Indian Lilac to Cure Ringworm Naturally and Fast
Indian lilac or neem is a natural remedy which is best for treating ringworm. The antiseptic and antifungal properties of neem or Indian Lilac help to treat various skin infections including ringworm.
Steps to Use Neem or Indian Lilac to Avoid Ringworm:
- Take some neem leaves and crush them.
- Combine the neem leaves, sesame oil and turmeric powder.
- Apply this neem paste on the ringworm.
- You can also use neem oil on the infected skin once daily for some days until the infection is gone. Or you can mix aloe vera gel with one-half tsp of neem oil and then apply it on the ringworm.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Ringworm Fast
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for treating ringworm. The natural antifungal properties in apple cider vinegar can treat the ringworm infection. ACV will remove this fungal infection completely and effectively.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Ringworm:
- Dab a cotton ball in ACV and apply it on the ringworm.
- Do this method 2 or 3 times a day for some days or until you see the improvement.
5.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Ringworm Naturally and Fast
Turmeric is the best home and natural remedy for ringworm. Turmeric is a very simple spice that has some good natural antibiotic qualities. Turmeric has several health benefits and helps to treat all kinds of fungal and bacterial infections.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Prevent Ringworm:
- Grate the raw turmeric root and extract the juice from it.
- Apply this turmeric juice on the ringworm 3 times a day until the infection is gone.
- You can also heat one-half cup of milk with one-quarter tsp of turmeric and drink it. This method is also helpful to heal the ringworm fast.
6.) Vinegar and Salt to Get Rid of Ringworm Fast
Vinegar and salt are the most effective and the best home remedies for treating ringworm. Vinegar and salt both are fruitful in treating ringworm. Both help to fight against fungal and bacterial infections.
Steps to Use Vinegar and Salt to Treat Ringworms:
- Prepare a paste of white vinegar and salt.
- Apply this paste on the ringworm rash and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Do this method 2 or 3 times a day for a week until the infection is gone completely.
7.) Iodine to Treat Ringworms Fast
The antiseptic and antifungal properties in iodine help in eliminating ringworm. You can buy a 2 percent iodine solution from a medical store. Donâ€™t use iodine solution more than 3 times a day.
Steps to Use Iodine to Avoid Ringworm:
- First, clean the ringworm with an antibacterial soap and use a clean towel to pat it dry.
- Put the cotton ball or cotton swab in the iodine solution and dab it on the affected skin.
- Repeat this method 2 or 3 times a day for up to 3 to 4 weeks.
8.) Papaya to Cure Ringworm Naturally and Fast
The antifungal properties in raw papaya help to kill fungi that cause ringworm.
Steps to Use Papaya to Get Rid of Ringworm:
- Take a slice of raw papaya and rub it on the ringworm.
- Leave the slice for 15 minutes and then wash it with warm water.
- Do this at least 2 times a day for some days.
- You can also apply a fresh papaya paste or juice on the ringworm.
9.) Lemongrass to Get Rid of Ringworm Naturally and Fast
Lemongrass is one of the best natural remedies for ringworm. The strong anti-inflammatory properties and antifungal properties in lemongrass help to treat ringworms naturally. Lemongrass removes toxins from the body.
Steps to Use Lemongrass to Cure Ringworm Fast:
- Prepare a lemongrass tea and drink it. You can also drink the combination of chamomile tea and lemongrass tea 3 times a day.
- Alternate method, apply used lemongrass tea bags on the affected skin. You can also apply lemongrass essential oil or a paste of buttermilk and lemongrass leaves on the ringworm.
10.) Licorice Root to Cure Ringworm Fast and Naturally
Licorice root has many fungicidal compounds that help to treat fungal infections.
Steps to Use Licorice Root to Treat Ringworms:
- Boil 1 cup of water with 5 to 6 tsp of licorice root powder.
- Allow it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the solution and allow it to cool.
- Soak a cotton swab in the liquid and dab it on the ringworm.
- Repeat this method 3 times a day until the ringworm improves.
Additional Useful Tips to Treat Ringworms:
- Maintain a good hygiene to treat ringworms.
- You can use bleach to get rid of ringworm fast and effectively.
- If your rash doesnâ€™t improve then you can contact your doctor.
- You can use anti-fungal medicines such as miconazole, ketoconazole, clotrimazole and terbinafine.
- Wear loose and cotton clothes to avoid ringworm.
- Donâ€™t apply a bandage on the ringworm.
- Do not scratch your ringworm as it will make it worse.
- Avoid sharing your personal things such as towels, brush and sports equipment with an infected person.
- Wash your hands daily as it will help to prevent ringworm from spreading.
- Pets can carry ringworms, so keep yourself away from infected pets.