Everyone experiences pink eye once in a while. Pink eye or can say Conjunctivitis is highly contagious that is caused by bacteria or virus. It is a very common problem among people of all ages. It goes away within 7 to 10 days without any medical treatment. Pink eye spreads easily by sharing objects such as towel or washcloth, brush or some other personal items with an infected person.
Pink eye is basically the inflammation of the thin, covering of the white of the eye and the inside of the eyelids or conjunctiva. Conjunctiva contains blood vessels and it is very transparent. Anything that triggers inflammation can cause red and bloodshot eyes. The treatment of pink eye depends on the cause of infection. There are several methods to cure pink eye such as home remedies, natural remedies and medical treatments.
Types of Pink Eye:
There are three types of pink eye.
- Viral Pink Eye- This type of pink eye is caused by viral infection. It is marked by watery and clear drainage. It is contagious and not treatable with antibiotics.
- Bacterial Pink Eye- This type of pink eye is caused by bacterial infection. It is marked by greenish-yellow drainage. It is also contagiousÂ and can be treated with antibiotic eye drops.
- Allergic Pink Eye- This type of pink eye is caused by cosmetics, animal dander, seasonal pollens and perfumes. It involves both the eyes with clear and watery drainage.
Symptoms of Pink Eye:
- A gritty feeling
- A discharge from the eyes.
Causes of Pink Eye:
- A foreign object in the eye.
- A chemical splash in the eye.
How Do You Get Pink Eye?
Pink eye is caused by any of the infection such as viral, bacterial and allergic infection. Anyone can get pink eye, including school children, teachers, daycare workers, preschoolers and college students are particularly at risk of pink eye.
How Long Does Pink Eye Last?
If your pink eye is caused by viral infection or any other infection, then it can last 5 to 15 days or more. Even with treatment, it lasts up to a month or longer.
Best Remedies to Cure Pink Eye:
1.) Cold or Warm Compress to Cure Pink Eye
A cold or warm compress is used to reduce the swelling and itching, which is caused by pink eye. It helps to soothe the eyes and prevent the discharge from drying on your eyelashes.
Steps to Use Cold or Warm Compress:
- Take a clean cloth and soak it in hot or cold water.
- Then, squeeze out the excess water.
- Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process 3 to 4 times a day.
- Donâ€™t use the same cloth on both the eyes, especially when one eye is infected.
2.) Black Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
Black tea is one of the best home remedies for pink eye as it contains that helps to reduce inflammation and itching. Black tea contains bioflavonoids that fight against bacterial and viral infections.
Steps to Use Black Tea to Treat Pink Eye Fast and Naturally:
- Take moist black teabags and put them on your eyes for ten minutes.
- Do this method 3 or 4 times a day in every few hours.
- You can also use chamomile tea bags or green tea bags.
- Using a weak solution of black tea for eyewash is also a good option.
3.) Boric Acid to Treat Pink Eye Fast
Boric acid is one of the best home remedies for numerous eye problems such as a burning sensation, redness, tearing and dryness. Boric acid contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that help to soothe eye irritation and cleanse your eyes.
Steps to Boric Acid to Cure Pink Eye Fast:
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 1 tsp of boric acid to it.
- Use this solution as an eyewash or you can apply this solution to the eye with a cotton ball.
- Wash your eyes with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this method 2 or 3 times a day.
4.) Saline Solution to Get Rid of Pink Eye
The Saline solution is one of the best home remedies for pink eye as it acts as a natural disinfectant. Sea salt is also good for treating pink eye. Add 1 tbsp of sea salt to a cup of warm water. Then put 2 to 3 drops of this salt solution in your affected eye with an eyedropper. Do this 2 times a day.
Steps to Use Saline Solution to Cure Pink Eye Naturally:
- Add one-half to 1 tsp of salt to a cup of boiling water.
- Let this solution cool and use it for eyewash with an eyedropper.
- Repeat the method many times a day to get relief from the symptoms of pink eye.
5.) Eyebright to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
Eyebright is an effective herb for many eye problems such as sties, pink eye, strained eyes, weeping eyes and bloodshot eyes. Eyebright contains antibacterial and astringent properties for treating pink eye fast.
Steps to Use Eyebright to Cure Pink Eye Naturally:
- Take a cup of water and boil this water.
- Now let it cool and add 5 drops of eyebright to it. Use this water for eyewash with the help of eyecup.
- Another method, boil 1 cup of eyebright herb in a cup of water for at least 10 minutes. Let it cool down and then strain the solution. Use this eyebright solution for eyewash. You can also add rose water to it. Repeat the method in every 4 hours.
- You can also steep equal parts of chamomile and eyebright in boiling water. Let the solution cool and then strain it. Use it for eyewash.
- You can also use a combination of eyebright tincture, 2 tbsp of rose water and 1 tbsp of boiled water. Apply this mixture in a compress.
- You can also take capsule of this herb and can drink eyebright tea.
6.) Calendula to Cure Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
The antiviral and antibacterial properties in calendula help to fight infection and heal pink eye naturally. It is an anti-inflammatory herb that soothes eye irritation and discomfort.
Steps to Use Calendula to Treat Pink Eye Naturally:
- Take 1 cup of hot water and add 2 tsp of dried calendula flowers in it.
- Allow it to steep and cool.
- Use a cheesecloth or a clean cloth to strain the solution.
- Use this solution as an eyewash many times throughout the day.
7.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
Aloe vera helps to cure pink eye naturally due to its antibiotic and astringent properties.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Cure Conjunctivitis:
- Soak chunks of aloe vera gel in a cup of cool and boiled water until it turns into pale green. You can also blend the aloe vera pieces with water.
- Put a few drops of this aloe vera mixture in the infected eye 3 or 4 times a day.
- You can also use this mixture for eyewash.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Pink Eye Fast
Apple cider vinegar helps to fight an infection due to its antimicrobial properties. Apple cider vinegar contains malic acid that fights bacterial infections.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Pink Eye:
- Add 2 tsp of organic ACV in a cup of filtered water.
- Soak a cotton ball or a clean cloth in this ACV solution.
- Close your infected eye and clean them with the cotton ball or cloth.
- Do this method in a few hours for 2 to 3 days.
9.) Milk and Honey to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally
A combination of both honey and warm milk helps to soothe and cure pink eye naturally. The soothing effect in milk calms the inflammation and honey contains antimicrobial properties.
Steps to Use Milk and Honey:
- Slightly warm 1 tbsp of whole milk.
- Add an equal amount of organic honey to this milk. Stir it well until it becomes smooth.
- Put 2 or 3 drops of this solution in the infected eye with an eyedropper.
- Do this method many times a day.
10.) Breast Milk to Cure Pink Eye Naturally
Breast milk is highly effective in treating pink eye, especially in babies. The healing properties in breast milk help to treat minor illnesses including ear infections and pink eye as it contains immunoglobulin E.
Steps to Use Breast Milk to Treat Conjunctivitis Fast:
- Put some drops of breast milk in the infected eye.
- Repeat this method as needed to heal the symptoms of pink eye.
Other Useful Tips to Cure Pink Eye:
- Donâ€™t share eye medicines with anyone.
- Donâ€™t share containers, contact lenses and solutions.
- Donâ€™t share eye makeup.
- Donâ€™t share handkerchiefs, pillows and towels.
- Wear protective eyewear in the heat, cold or wind to protect against infection and irritation.
- Wash your hands many times in a day.